Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bill Frist for Governor?

So, I received an automated phone call today from Chicago. It was Bill Frist. Yep, the former U.S. Senator from Tennessee. Not sure why he was calling from Chicago. Oh, and his message was that I should vote for Diane Black for State Senate.

I'm not voting for Diane Black, by the way. I'm voting for Jim Hawkins. Jim will be a proud progressive voice in the legislature ... and will work with members of both parties to get things done. Plus, when Governor Bredesen called to ask me to vote for Jim, he called from Gallatin. That's a lot closer than Chicago.

Anyway, it seems Bill Frist finds himself avidly campaigning for a number of Republicans in State House and Senate races this year. This, of course, is fueling speculation that he will run for Governor in 2010. If he does, he will almost certainly be the GOP nominee and will start out as a heavy favorite to win.

Democrats have one "announced" candidate: former House Majority Leader Kim McMillan has formed an exploratory committee and raised a decent sum of money. If Frist jumps into the race, McMillan may be the only Democrat who would be willing to take him on.

As for the 18th District State Senate race between Diane Black and Jim Hawkins, after Frist's call, I decided to do some door-to-door work in the rain. I hit about 20 houses and asked the voters I found at home to vote for my friend Jim Hawkins. So, Bill Frist did move this voter. Just not in the direction he probably wanted.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog Andy. You're doing a good job, make sure you keep it up.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RealGOP said...

Dr. Frist was an excellent Senator and would make a fine Governor.

Paradise said...

Andy, I don't know where you live, but Dr. Frist is in Tennessee campaigning for Republican candidates. I would bet the message you got was recorded a while ago. By the way, Dr. Frist will be a terrific Governor. He is a first class human being, and would be great for Tennessee.

Andy said...

I live in Tennessee. I'm well aware of where Dr. Frist is and what he is up to: laying the groundwork for a run for Governor.

Thanks for stopping by, Chico!

Paradise said...

I'm not a "Chico" whatever that is. Shame on you for being a racist.

RealGOP said...

I'm glad someone else out there understands what a fine Governor Dr. Frist would be. I hope Dr. Frist as Governor gets to work with President McCain!

Andy said...

um, paradise... calm down!

chico is also Finis Price, my former H.S. debate teammate...

i suspect REALGOP is a former colleague of mine as well...

welcome!

Paradise said...

Well, Andy, I don't know what it means, but where I am originally from, it is a derogatory term used for Hispanics. I'm glad that wasn't the way you meant it. btw, why don't you like Bill Frist, aside from your being a Democrat? Most of my family are Democrats but they have switched for the Presidential election, because they don't believe that Senator Obama is qualified. I'm for McCain also, but I voted for Gore in 2000 and actually have only voted for three republican presidents. I think Bill Frist is one of the finest public servants I have ever seen and he will be a great governor, if he makes the run.

rickmalek said...

Andy, I was under the impression that fat old Fred Thompson was going to try and redeem his disastrous Presidential race by running for Governor of Tennessee in 2010.

I was also under the impression that the Democrat who would be running would be Harold Ford Jr.

Thoughts?

Paradise said...

Fred Thompson has no intention of running for Governor of Tennessee. BTW, the Dems in Tennessee are saying Ford is interested but may not be if Frist gets in.

Andy said...

Fred Thompson is not running. Harold Ford Jr. probably won't run if Frist does. Lincoln Davis still might. Not sure who wins in a primary between Kim McMillan and Lincoln Davis. Not sure it matters if Frist is the nominee.