Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Roy's Running!

For Congress:

Andy,
Tonight, my longtime friend and Congressman, John Tanner, announced he will not seek re-election to Tennessee’s 8th District.Given the challenges facing this nation, this state, and this congressional district, I feel like I can help make a difference by serving in Congress. And so, I want to let you know immediately of my decision to run.You deserve a much fuller explanation of my decision than I can give at this late hour. I will be back in touch with you soon to share more. For now, I respectfully ask for your consideration, your support, and your prayers.
Your friend,
Roy

Just hours after Tanner announced his retirement, Roy was in. I suspect there were phone calls to Mike McWherter and Lowe Finney and perhaps to Jim Kyle, etc.

I would think this closes the Democratic primary. Herron has represented most of this congressional district in the House and then Senate for over 20 years. His getting out of the Governor's race helps Mike McWherter shore up West TN. It also helps Herron's Senate colleague, Jim Kyle. Now, Kyle can solidify his Memphis base and build support in Middle and East TN among voters who may have preferred Herron over McWherter.

I thought Herron had a good shot of pulling an upset and winning the Democratic primary for Governor.

I think he is in the odds-on favorite to win the 8th District Congressional seat - his profile is perfect for the district, his family traces its history in the area back seven generations, and he's proven time and again that he can beat the Republicans who run in this area. Plus, Herron is a tireless campaigner. And now, he'll be campaigning in his own back yard.

Should Herron win, either Judy Barker or Mark Maddox (or both) seem likely to run to replace him in the state Senate.

No comments: